Welcome to Bald Hills
Bald Hills is a suburb well known to many Brisbane locals when driving up the north coast as it's the most northerly suburb of Brisbane. It's a long established suburb and was most likely named either for the views of the D'Aguilar Range or the two hills which could be seen from the suburb. Bald Hills was once predominantly farming land producing arrowroot, cotton and sugar cane and some farms still remain today. The Tinchi Tamba Wetlands at Bald Hills are popular for canoeists, walkers and birdwatchers. Residents have two schools (one dating from 1866), their own train station and a major shopping centre at Strathpine close by.
Bald Hills is about 20km from Brisbane’s CBD. Over 49% of households in this area consist of couples with children, 31% are of couples without children and 17% are single parent households. Over 99% of the dwellings in this area are stand-alone houses. Bald Hills has farmland as well as residential areas and you’ll find timber and tin older-style homes and more modern brick and tile structures as well.
There are plenty of shopping options around Bald Hills. Bracken Ridge Shopping Precinct, Brighton Shopping Centre and Deagon Plaza are just a few of the choices you have.
Lisa says: I love the enormous park on the banks of the Pine River. It's full of wildlife and indigenous plants, and it takes about an hour to walk all the pathways. There are ducks and turtles, cricket pitches and room to run. A very tranquil place and a great way to spend the day with family or friends.
20 km from CBD
Bill Brown Cricket Ground, Stanley Day Soccer Fields, Bald Hills rail station
Located approximately 20 kilometres north of the Brisbane CBD, Bald Hills is predominantly a farming suburb with large tracks of farmland still located in the area. An older suburb, housing in Bald Hills centres on the railway station and is made up mostly of single unit dwellings (houses) with few unit/townhouse complexes. The suburb is home to a mix of older residents, families and couples. Affordable housing and access to amenities has made Bald Hills a consistent performer in terms of price growth. Families in the area are well serviced with a state primary school in Bald Hills and the surrounding suburbs catering to both primary and secondary school children. Bald Hills is also close to North Point Institute of TAFE at Bracken Ridge and the Carseldine campus of the Queensland University of Technology.
Recreational facilities in the area include the Bill Brown Cricket Ground, the Stanley Day Soccer Fields, numerous other parks, bike and walk ways, a nine-hole golf course and driving range. The suburb is home to a Catholic and Anglican Church. Public transport in the area is also good with a train station and regular bus routes supplemented by easy access to the Bruce Highway and the gateway arterial road. Using the Gateway Motorway, Brisbane Airport is only a 15 to 20 minute drive away. Large retail chains and supermarkets are available at Westfield Toombul, Chermside and the Aspley Hypermarket, all of which are easily accessible by public transport or major roads. There is also Bald Hills Hospital making medical facilities accessible to residents.
When Thomas Gray, a successful boot maker in Brisbane, recommended the Bald Hills area to John Stewart and his brothers-in-law Charles and David Duncan, he also wrote to Captain Wickham requesting a deployment of mounted police to protect the newcomers. Previously, Aborigines had murdered some cedar cutters in the area, a Mr Gregor and a Mrs Shannon. A Bribie Island Aborigine, Dundalli, was tried and sentenced for the crime. He was hanged on 5 January 1855. The police patrolled the area from late 1857 and were stationed permanently at Sandgate from 1858.
The Gympie Gold rush of the 1860s really began development here. Cobb and Co started a service to the goldfields in 1867. The first railway into the area was completed in 1888 and at that time new subdivisions were being offered for sale between Telegraph Road and the railway and to the south of the current St Paul's School. However, it would appear that the area did not progress as rapidly as was hoped, partly due to the poor train service and expensive fares.
The next major housing boom occurred after World War II with the subdivision of the Richmond Heights Estate to the east of St Paul's in 1959, followed by the subdivision of the Eaton's property to the east of the highway in 1968. In 1974 the estates of the Carseldine, Feuerriegel, and Williamson families were subdivided into the Canterbury Estate, and more recently the Northwind Estate was developed along Wyampa Road.
Thomas Gray, Queen Street boot maker, bought a small portion of land when the first land sales in the area were held in January 1857. He recommended the area to his relatives in the Hunter Valley of New South Wales. John Stewart and his brothers-in-law Charles and David Duncan came to Bald Hills late in 1857. They first erected wattle and daub huts on the site of St Paul's School. A few years later, William Carseldine was recommended to the Stewarts as a fencing contractor. His son, James Carseldine, later established the first store in Bald Hills. His eldest son John was instrumental in bringing the Wesleyan Church to the area. He also cut a more direct track to Brisbane, which roughly followed the current Gympie Road. Between the 1890s and the 1920s families in the area including the Days, Feuerriegels, Hawkins, Hennesseys, and McPhersons involved themselves in dairying.
The initial landmarks that gave the area its name were two bald grass hills, which stood out prominently from the surrounding bushland. It seems that cattle duffers used the landform to hide stolen cattle. James Carseldine planted the fig tree between Gympie Road and Ana Street in 1875 to provide shade to his dairy. This site was later used when circuses were passing through. The area had always been earmarked for a police station, but this never eventuated.
The first South Pine Bridge was built in 1865 to allow heavy goods to be transported to and from the Gympie Goldfields. It was opened by the Governor, Sir George Bowen on the 10 May 1865. The bridge was replaced in 1904. The Bald Hills Primary School, established in June 1866, was only the fourth school to open in Queensland. A new building was constructed in 1917. The School of Arts began in the old school house from about 1913. This building was demolished and the materials reused to construct the new School of Arts building in 1921. This was on the site of the original blacksmith shop operated by John Norris, which opened in 1875.
The first shop, operated by James Carseldine, was built at 2105 Gympie Road in 1869. Cobb and Co stopped here from 1872 to collect mail and passengers. James was the postmaster and later established a newsagency here, which he ran until 1911. The post office remained on this site until 1930. The Lang family ran a sugar mill on the corner of Millar Road, on the site of the golf complex during the 1880s. Severe frosts spelt the end of the sugar in Bald Hills, but sugar grown in nearby Lawnton was processed into rum at the Normanby Rum Distillery which once stood on the site of Westfield Shopping town in Strathpine.
The ABC radio station 4QG chose the Kluver Road site to house their transmitters. The site was previously used as a jam and canning factory. Construction on the site began in 1941 and in 1988 the station was put under remote control from the ABC transmission centre on Mount Coot-tha. St Paul's Church of England School was originally a boy's school, which opened in 1961. It is situated on part of John Stewart's property overlooking the river and students first assembled in the original barn. The flagpole of the school was originally the mast of the old steam ship Koopa, which used to work the Brisbane River. This school became co-educational in 1993.
Reference: Mary Howell, BRISbites, 2000