Welcome to Fitzgibbon
Fitzgibbon is a relatively new suburb with lots of open spaces and forests, protected by Brisbane City Council. There's a bike track along Cabbage Tree Creek and plenty of park space and sports fields. Houses tend to be low set and brick and the streets meander, mostly on the flat, with plenty of green outlooks. Newer developments, like Caribou Crescent, have larger two-storeyed homes most of which take up virtually their entire block of land. Commuters heading for the CBD have easy access with a choice of main roads, including the Gateway Motorway and Gympie Road. Fitzgibbon was named in 1975 after Abraham Fitzgibbon who was Queensland's first Commissioner of Railways from 1863-64 and Chief Engineer from 1863-67. He was responsible for the planning that led to the adoption of the three-feet, six-inch (one-metre) gauge for railway tracks.
Fitzgibbon is about 18km from Brisbane's CBD. Over 38% of households in this area consist of couples with children, 40% are couples without children and 18% are single parent families. Stand-alone houses make up over 61% of the dwellings in this area, and townhouses account for another 25%. The houses are mostly modern brick and tile structures, and there are also recently built townhouses and units in this area.
Aspley Hypermarket with all you’d expect to find in a large shopping mall is close by or if you’re just after essentials, head to Gawain Road at Bracken Ridge.
18 km from CBD.
Close to Northpoint Institute of TAFE and Queensland University of Technology Carseldine Campus.
Located approximately 18 kilometres north of Brisbane, Fitzgibbon was first marketed to new residents as Carseldine Grove Estate. A family-oriented suburb, Fitzgibbon is made up predominantly of single unit dwellings (houses) with a few unit/townhouse developments mixed in. Affordable and modern housing make the area attractive to first homebuyers taking advantage of the First Home Owners Grant. With a mix of housing styles, including low set brick homes, Fitzgibbon's price growth has remained steady. The suburban lifestyle attracts young and established families and the affordable rates make Fitzgibbon popular among renters.
Families in the area are well serviced for with a number of schools in and around Fitzgibbon catering to both primary and secondary school children. Also close is Northpoint Institute of TAFE in Bracken Ridge and the Carseldine campus of the Queensland University of Technology. Recreational facilities in the local area include numerous parks, bike and walk ways. Public transport in the area is also good with regular bus routes supplemented by easy access to the Pacific Highway and the Gateway arterial road. Using the Gateway arterial, Brisbane Airport is only a 15 minute drive. Large retail chains and supermarkets are available at Westfield Shoppingtown Toombul and Chermside, both of which are easily accessible by public transport or major roadways. Local shopping villages supplement the larger centres.
The Duke of York Clan occupied the region to the south of the South Pine River. To the north was the North Pine Clan. Tom Petrie indicated that the Turrbal language was spoken as far north as North Pine, west to Moggill and Gold Creek, and south to the Logan.
Petrie was a great source of information on Aboriginal people and he marked out many of the roads in the district along existing Aboriginal tracks. He first travelled the Old Northern Road in 1845 when he accompanied Aborigines to the bonyi (bunya) festival in the Blackall Ranges. Tom spoke about the leader of a small fishing tribe who lived near the mouth of the South Pine River. His clan called him Mindi-Mindi and the whites called him Kabon-Tom. He initially scared Tom Petrie when Tom teased him as a child, but later they became friends. Kabon-Tom lived to be an old man in his nineties. Others weren’t so lucky. The diseases bought by the whites soon had a major detrimental effect on the Aboriginal population.
After Tom Petrie was married and was looking for a place to start a cattle grazing property, he went into the area we now know as Petrie. He was accompanied by Dal-ngang the son of an Aboriginal elder, Dalapai, whom he had known since childhood. One of the first things Petrie noticed about the local North Pine Aborigines were the smallpox scars on their bodies and the fact that there were few old people; disease had taken its toll.
Tom chose a site for his homestead, which he named 'Murrumba' meaning good. An area on the river nearby was called 'Mandin' meaning fishing nets, as this was a popular local fishing place.
Closer to the Moreton Bay settlement the main camping ground for the Duke of York Clan was the gully through Victoria Park and the Brisbane Exhibition Grounds. This campsite was known as Barrambin. Another popular campsite was Buyuba at Newmarket near Bancroft Park on Enoggera Creek. Enoggera is derived from the word Yowoggera which means corroboree. A burial ground also existed in the area.
This is a relatively new area having been subdivided for housing during the late 1980s and through to the 1990s. The suburb is roughly triangular in shape and is bounded by the north coast railway, Cabbage Tree Creek, and Telegraph Road.
Abram Fitzgibbon, who was Chief Engineer for Railways in Queensland in the 1860s, lends his name to the suburb. He was responsible for planning that led to the adoption of the three-feet, six-inch (one-metre) gauge for railway tracks. He was later Commissioner for Railways. The name was formally adopted for the suburb in 1971 and gazetted in 1975.
A large area along Telegraph Road is taken up with the Bill Brown Sports Field. Adjoining it is the Warra Municipal Pound. 'Warra' is the Aboriginal name for the Sandgate area. This region would have originally been under the jurisdiction of the Sandgate Divisional Board.
The Golden Downs Mobile Home Village is a new housing development on Beams Road, providing affordable housing in relocatable homes.
Reference: Mary Howell, BRISbites, 2000